Friday, April 11, 2014

Would You Buy a UV-detecting Watch?

iWatch concept. (Belm Designs)

This week, Yahoo reported that Apple may roll out a wrist watch technology that would serve as a "virtual doctor" with UV and vital sign-detecting features.

What bothers me isn't the concept. To me, the idea of the watch is admirable: placing increased awareness of basic health concepts in the hands of the consumer-- perhaps hoping for a heightening of personal responsibility. But this recent announcement has me tiptoeing backward, away from my iPhone. I admit, having apps for everything has become the new norm and keeps us endlessly entertained. It just starts to look a bit scary when you stop to think about how there are apps for running, cooking, laughing, reading, relaxing, sleeping, learning, grooming, shopping, and so on.


Here's where my side-eye comes in:

Technology is what has taken the majority of us Western consumers out of the sun's rays and in front of the computer waves in the first place.
A piece of technology that makes you get up and go outside is ironic. By detecting UV levels while you're outside, the watch is essentially making outdoor play 'safe'. Oookay then.
We should all be wearing sunscreen while frolicking in the warm, fresh air. A watch shouldn't make the difference when deciding whether or not to apply.  
 
Let's take a guess on how expensive this watch will be-- it's Apple for goodness' sake.
The price point surely will render this 'cool' item inaccessible to the overwhelming majority of people who could benefit from having a handy report on their health status. As more and more of these innovative health tools surface for the public, the disparity grows between the healthy, informed population, and those who simply can not afford to have a leg up.

Remember, there is a reason why the sun is even the 'enemy' in the first place.
It is commonly understood that vitamin D is our friend, yet we've managed to poison the planet to a point where we have to risk our safety just to venture out to soak some up. Don't believe me? Well, would you believe that there is technology being manufactured to help detect the harmful rays we expose ourselves to every day?!
It sounds a lot less awesome when put that way.
 
Overall, I would caution us as a society to consider how technology factors into our lives.
It is easy to allow the gadget to pull you away from reality, while at the same time convincing you that the information within is the key to maximizing realness.
More importantly, when you're standing in line, swiping your credit card for the next latest and greatest, think about how your gain in information is not universally accessible. Technology is really cool, and is undeniably a part of the future. Knowing that, access should be more universal. Health information should not be a matter a privilege.

So, go ahead. Ask me if I will buy an overpriced watch to remind me to re-apply my sunscreen. Hmm... let me see...
Nope! iWont. Unless it is affordable, or better yet, $free.99, I'll stick to common sense and good old fashion sunshine (with sunscreen).

2 comments:

  1. I agree almost wholeheartedly. My question would be, just because something only benefits a privileged sect of society, do we dismiss it, or work (mostly in vain, I know) to get that something into the hands of those who could benefit from it the most? Not that I think this is some extremely beneficial technology, but my question is a general one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. As I see it, the most ideal solution would be to continue producing for the consumer masses while continuing to develop useful technologies into more applied form.
      The most simplistic example might be the mosquito net. While used by the Western traveler looking to have a "wilderness" experience, they also save lives for the non-traveler (i.e. malaria, etc). While this is a slight stretch, it demonstrates what I mean.
      Its an on-going thought point, however. As technology expands, we have to look to put it to the greatest, most accessible use.
      And, yes, I'm skeptical about the true usefulness of this product too. Not expecting much.

      Delete

Leave a comment: